Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Textured Walls | Stencils

I guess "Textured Walls" is going to be a series... I've already talked about the absence of color and painting techniques in my two previous posts.

So, continuing on the theme of creating dimension and making your rooms more dynamic, you can also add a stencil to your walls. I know, you may be thinking, "like my grandma's kitchen?!?!" 

sorry to whoever owns this home...
But no, I am talking about something a little more fun and funky like... (the following pictures are not my designs)
add some stenciled leaves in 3 different colors to accent the perimeter of your bed

be a minimalist
provide a focal point on the wall
make the wall purposeful by adding some hooks; it looks very city-like and clean

Or how about something a little more soft and elegant, replacing the hassles of wallpapering...?



On the second floor of our home, we wanted to add an accent wall after remodeling our living room and kitchen. But we wanted to add something more than a coat of paint. Instead of making my own wall stencil, I decided to free-hand paint a tree with some birds. Although, we did get a stencil created from FedEx Kinkos to add a bible verse to the wall (see pictures below).

Below are the steps we took to create our DIY stencil family tree accent wall:

     1. Painted the wall with Martha Stewart's Cement Gray
see...I told you I like gray :)

     2. Free-hand sketched the design on paper

     3. Measured the wall into quadrants to make the painting proportional to the drawing. 
     4. Began painting the tree (used Martha Stewart's Magnetite)
See the leftover blue tape for the quadrants
     5. Painted the birds in Glidden's Mustard Seed to provide a splash of color to the wall
     6. Hung family photos


     7. Put up the wall decal.

finished project

What I love about the design is the flexibility to put your pictures wherever you want on the wall. Also, the wall is a neutral color so it will compliment almost any other wall colors in your space. If you want to change your "splash of color", simply repaint the birds to a different color. I might do a turquoise of some sort next.

Happy stenciling!

{Rashida}

PS: If you don't want to create a stencil, you can just order decals...they do the same trick. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment