Monday, July 15, 2013

The Office: Setting the Stage


While our first real project for Flashbent is underway, we also have a little project of our own: converting a bedroom into our home office. We currently have an office, but it's really only a place where my hubby works, plus the space is small and the furniture is too big.

The goal of this project is to:
  • Provide a space in which I can do my school work (so I am not doing it on my favorite place... the kitchen table)
  • Create a space that is ready to meet with potential clients
  • Provide a space for Ben to still do work, as this would be his new office as well
We are treating ourselves like one of our own clients so we can solidify our process, deliverables, and time frame. To use the tech industry's term, we will be "eating our own dog food."

This space is going to have to accomplish a lot:
  • It needs to provide computer space and potentially layout space for me and my projects
  • It needs to be a space for Ben to work with multiple monitors
  • It needs to double as a guest room
  • It will also need to serve as a "man cave" of sorts
Given the room's awkward small shape, we have an added challenge of furnishing the room without completely blocking windows, doors, and pathways.

Small bedroom with barely any wall space and a lot of doors.

In the next post, I'll talk about the different layouts I created to meet our goals and design challenges.

Stay tuned,

{Rashida}

No comments:

Post a Comment